This one-day programme will run in three SNIC sites, demonstrating how the latest Allinea tool suite supports more efficient and more robust HPC code development practices when working both at scale and across platforms. Discover how deeper dive code behaviour analysis provides opportunities for performance enhancement and vectorization and how Allinea integration capabilities enable best practice monitoring and regression testing for research teams.
Provisional program för NSC, Linköping, February 8th 2017:
9:30-10:00 Arrival and welcome
10:00-10:30 Enabling life changing discovering with Allinea tools. (presentation)
- Introduction, roundtable
- Overview of our HPC tools
- Latest Allinea’s breaking news and roadmap
10:30-11:00 Characterizing application performance
- Theory: The basis of code performance: algorithm complexity
- Getting started with Allinea Performance Reports
- Understanding and addressing scalability issues
11:00-11:30 Coffee break
11:30-12:00 Counter-intuitive performance analysis problems: load imbalances
- Theory: Load balancing in HPC (e.g. load balancing with space-filling curves).
- Introduction to Allinea Forge’s profiling metrics
- Detecting and fixing the bottlenecks behind load imbalances with Allinea Forge
12:00-12:30 Improving memory accesses
- Theory: Learning to feed a CPU: caching, memory prefetch...
- Allinea Forge CPU metrics deep dive
- Identifying and improving obvious performance bottlenecks
13:30-14:30 Automated debugging: integrating Allinea DDT within development workflows
- Theory: Version control, regression testing and continuous integration
- Getting familiar with Allinea Forge using “offline mode”
- Adding debuggers into your every day work
14:30-15:00 Writing correct vectorized code
- Theory: Development techniques for vectorization
- Identifying unvectorized loops
- Rearranging algorithms to enable vectorization
15:00-15:30 I/O Profiling and optimization
- Theory: Overview of typical complex issues around IO performance
- Introduction of Allinea Forge’s IO metrics
- Introduction of mechanisms for regression testing
15:30-16:00 Open discussion
- What is currently scheduled for the next 6 months?
- What would you expect from Allinea and HPC tools?
To be able to follow the hands-on tutorial:
The meeting venue, NSC in the 'Jupiter' meeting room. More specifically: House G (Galaxen), entrance 83. Walk a few meters straight ahead, when NSC corridor is on the right, corridor on the left is towards 'Jupiter' (on left hand side after few meters). NSC personnel will provide access to corridor, alternatively check with general contact person below.
Phone: +46 (0)73 461 8948 (Weine Olovsson)