Aim and Scope of IFIP Working Group 2.5
Though formulated at the outset in 1974, the statement of the aim and
the scope of WG 2.5 has proved to be a valid guideline for its work. The
statement was slightly revised in 1991 and 2006.
The aim of Working Group 2.5 is to improve the quality of scientific
computation by promoting the development and availability of sound
Objectives within the scope of the Working Group
- Environment. The definition from a numerical standpoint of a set of hardware and
software features for a computing system.
- Tools. The development and improvement of programming languages
and other tools for numerical computation.
- Algorithms. The establishment of guidelines for
the assessment of numerical algorithms and their implementations.
- Software. The establishment of guidelines for
the preparation, interoperability, verification,
validation, documentation, distribution and maintenance of
- Data. The establishment of guidelines for
the validation, documentation, preservation, and distribution
of numerical data.
- Communication. The exchange of information concerning numerical
software and the determination of the needs of computer users.
A Rationale is also available.
Last modified: February 16, 2007